Assistant Manager - Facilities Maintenance
Posted by: WaterOne
Posted date: 2019-May-10
Location: Kansas City, KS
WaterOne is an independent public water utility. We’ve been proudly serving the Johnson County, Kansas area since 1957. Every day, nearly 425,000 customers rely on WaterOne to provide fresh, clean water on demand. It’s a responsibility we deliver on.
Our passion is water because water touches everything we care about: family, health, safety, and community. We serve our community by bringing award-winning water to their homes, businesses, and public places.
Under the supervision of the Manager – Facilities Maintenance, assists in the planning, direction, and management of all aspects of the Maintenance Shops including maintaining the facilities and equipment in the best condition possible at the lowest possible cost. Assists Manager – Facilities Maintenance in developing departmental vision and in providing leadership pertaining to the maintenance of WaterOne’s facilities and equipment. Assists in providing WaterOne employees with operable facilities and equipment that allow them to efficiently and safely perform their job.
Customer Service Commitment
WaterOne employees shall continuously strive to meet or exceed the expectations of both their internal and external customers. Questions and concerns shall be acknowledged on the same day whenever possible. Issues shall be resolved as promptly as possible, with the goal of maximizing customer satisfaction.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assists Manager in coordination and oversight of the organization, staffing, and operational activities for installation, maintenance, and repair of all WaterOne facilities and systems, excluding vehicle fleet, by scheduling work assignments, setting priorities, and directing the work of assigned employees to ensure application of safe, efficient, and effective principles, practices, and procedures.
- Assists Manager in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities; recommends and implements resulting policies and procedures. Identifies opportunities for improving service delivery methods and procedures including reliability centered maintenance; identifies resource needs; reviews with Manager; implements improvements.
- Plans, organizes, and directs a preventive and predictive maintenance program and the repair of facility equipment and systems. Develops schedules and work standards in accordance with industry standards and best practices; monitors work flow; reviews and evaluates work products, methods, and procedures. Assists Manager in the development and administration of assigned budget; forecasts funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; monitors expenditures; recommends adjustments as necessary.
- Selects, trains, motivates, supports, and evaluates maintenance personnel; provides or coordinates staff training; works with employees to correct deficiencies; prepares performance evaluations; participates in employment actions such as hiring, disciplining and recommending separation of personnel in the department.
- Establishes performance standards for maintenance personnel based on quantity and quality of work, evaluates and verifies performance in comparison to expectations, and provides regular feedback.
- Performs or oversees other leadership and administrative duties such as time approval, ensuring that complete and accurate work orders and maintenance records are created and maintained, and other recordkeeping tasks.
- Assists Facilities Engineering in developing the asset management program, upgrading existing equipment and facilities and designing new systems.
- Keeps up with industry standards and changing technology pertaining to equipment and systems.
- Directs and participates in the development, negotiation and administration of contract services; monitors the work of contractors and implements appropriate changes.
- Prepares various reports and action item summaries to management as required.
- Directs the implementation of training programs for department staff on maintenance of WaterOne facilities and equipment.
- Responds to customer complaints using established procedures and protocol.
- Perform all duties pertaining to hazardous waste operations in accordance with all applicable requirements.
- Performs other job duties as required.
In addition to organizational competencies, these key competencies are expected to be demonstrated by each employee in this position:
- Manages Complexity – Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Drives Vision and Purpose – Painting a compelling picture of vision and strategy that motivates others to action.
- Optimizes Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Cultivates Innovation – Creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful.
- Collaboration – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Flexibility – Ability to adapt to changes while keeping focus on goals and apply knowledge to new circumstances.
Provides direct supervision, as assigned by Manager, to one of more of the following:
Foreman – Electrical
Foreman – Mechanical
Foreman – Instrumentation / SCADA
Foreman – HVAC
Foreman – Analyzers
Foreman – Maintenance Coordination / Structures & Grounds
Required Education, Skills & Experience
- Requires a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in business administration, construction management, engineering or a related field.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in the Facilities Maintenance field with specific experience in the maintenance of electrical equipment, instrumentation, or mechanical equipment.
- Minimum three (3) years of supervisory experience in the facilities maintenance field, preferably with a water utility or similar entity. Note: An equivalent combination of education and experience, including supervisory experience, may be considered in meeting the requirements of qualifications 1-3.
- Demonstrated leadership skills including work planning, goal setting, establishing standards for the quantity and quality of work produced, and measuring outcomes.
- Ability to plan, train, direct and evaluate a large and diverse work group.
- Ability to analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Must have high standards for quality and quantity of work produced, exercise good judgment and be creative and open to new ideas.
- Ability to provide impartial supervision and treatment of employees.
- Must have strong management, organizational, oral and written communication, and listening skills.
- Knowledge of technical aspects of the assignment to the degree necessary to effectively manage and accomplish established objectives.
- Knowledge of maintenance principles and practices required to meet the needs of water treatment, pumping, and pipelines for WaterOne’ s utility infrastructure.
- Knowledge of methods, techniques, and equipment used in the mechanical, electrical, and electronic maintenance and repair of water treatment, storage and distribution facilities and equipment.
- Knowledge of mechanical principles related to the design, installation and maintenance of complex water treatment and distribution systems.
- Ability to review and interpret plans and specifications for maintenance implications.
- Ability to interpret and apply pertinent Federal, State, and local policies, laws and regulations and determine applicability to maintenance and repair actions and/or department operations.
- Must exercise good judgment and concern for worker and workplace safety. Must have a broad knowledge of occupational hazards and safe work practices.
- Must have experience with or have the ability to learn and apply all applicable requirements pertaining to hazardous waste operations.
- Must have strong PC skills including experience with project management, word processing, spreadsheet, database, and e-mail software. Must be able to learn and use WaterOne software programs. Must have strong knowledge of or the ability to learn Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) and computer control systems. Experience with enterprise resource planning software such as SAP preferred. The ability to learn and develop expertise in the Plant Maintenance module in SAP is required.
- Must have a cooperative attitude and exhibit diplomacy and judgment when working with the public, fellow employees, developers, contractors, or other public officials.
- Must present professional image.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and continuously meet WaterOne driving standards.
- Must be reachable in the event of emergencies or non-routine situations, and be available for occasional emergency call-out.
- Must pass post offer medical exam, including background verification and drug screen (may not apply to current employees).
Preferred Education, Skills & Experience
- Supervisory experience in the facilities maintenance field with a water utility or similar entity.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must be able to move or transport items weighing up to 25 Ibs. occasionally. The employee must be able to move from one location to another frequently but must also be able to remain in a stationary position for several hours a day as well.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally lift/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee must be able to use a computer for five hours a day. The employee may occasionally be required to position self to inspect or view equipment and field activities. Must be able to frequently move from one location to another or be able to remain in a stationary position for up to several hours a day. The employee must be able to use office productivity equipment such as a personal computer, calculator, printer, and copy machine. The employee must be in possession of a licenses and be able to operate a vehicle at any given time.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Protective equipment, including but not limited to personal protective equipment for eyes, face, head and extremities, protective clothing, respiratory devices, and protective shields and barriers, may be required and shall be maintained in the sanitary and reliable condition wherever it is necessary by reason of hazards of process or environment, chemical hazards, or mechanical hazard encountered in a manner capable of causing injury or impairment in the function of any part of the body through absorption, inhalation or physical contact.
Please apply online at: https://careers-waterone.icims.com/jobs/1318/assistant-manager---facilities-maintenance/job