Position Title: Director, Facilities
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Location: Washington, D.C.
Reports To: VP, Human Resources & Administration
Purpose and Description
Under the supervision of the Vice President, Human Resources & Administration, the Director, Facilities will have direct responsibility and oversight for maintenance and operations, including compliance with historic preservation laws and obligations, of the Meridian campus and historic buildings. Incumbent will lead strategic planning and budgeting for long-term capital project planning, preventive maintenance, and building upkeep.
- Ensure adequate and appropriate staffing for routine work requests, housekeeping, event setups and takedowns, and routine repairs.
- Ensure that all buildings, mechanical equipment, and grounds are maintained for daily use by staff and visitors, as well as to the standards required by the National Register of Historic Places
- Ensure that all safety codes and inspections related to mechanical equipment, safety equipment, safety standards, fire notification systems, fire suppression systems, and emergency notification systems are in compliance with applicable regulations.
- Develop, administer, and monitor annual operating budget for utilities, preventive maintenance, repairs, supplies and equipment procurement.
- Schedule and implement capital improvements and ongoing repairs in keeping with budget, procure appropriately, plan and implement timelines to minimize impact on Meridian events
- Develop and establish policies and procedures to ensure safe and efficient operations, and maintain compliance with all applicable regulations.
- Develop a staffing plan and budget that ensures adequate support for Meridian’s mission and events, and provides a learning, coaching environment.
- Develop and implement systems to maintain equipment inventories, compliance activities, maintenance records, and budget documentation.
- Work closely and collaboratively with events staff; anticipate needs and handle while maintaining appropriate decorum and high level of customer satisfaction
Other duties and special projects as assigned
- Undergraduate degree in architecture, engineering or other related field
- 8-10 years of progressively responsible experience overseeing maintenance and operations, preferably in an historic environment
- Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Superior attention to detail with dedication to providing the best service possible
- Knowledge of building systems, including HVAC, plumbing, electrical and structural, to include antiquated boiler systems
- Ability to coordinate the work of numerous skilled and unskilled trades and craftsmen simultaneously
- Ability to successfully schedule and expedite repair and maintenance projects while minimizing impact on Meridian’s day-to-day activities
- Extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals, along with the ability to work independently and take initiative
- Superior organizational and management skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple, complex, on-going and ever-changing tasks and projects
- Ability to manage and lead a team in a variety of maintenance and event related activities
Physical Effort and Dexterity
- Must be able to climb ladders, bend, stoop, crouch and lift up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to navigate historic building crawlspaces, attics, roofs, and basements.
- Must be able to move tables, chairs, carpets and other furniture and equipment.
- Must be able to work in adverse weather conditions.
Visual Acuity, Hearing, and Speaking
- Excellent verbal and written command of the English language
- Application of conversational Spanish is a plus, but not required
Environment and Scheduling
- This position regularly requires the ability to work long hours and weekend hours.
This position is classified FLSA exempt.
Employer’s Statement and Rights
This position posting does not list all the duties of the job. If an offer is made, you will be presented with a detailed job description. Applicants will be evaluated based upon their demonstrated ability to perform the tasks listed above, and their education and experience. The employer has the right to revise this posting at any time. Neither this posting nor the job description is a contract for employment. Meridian is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should apply by e-mail only to HRmeridian.org. Subject line should read “Facilities Director” only and a cover letter, with salary expectations, and resume should be attached. Only candidates being considered for this position will be contacted. Submissions which do not follow the above instructions will not be considered as applicants. NO PHONE CALLS in reference to this position will be accepted.